March 13, 2019

Even the Darkest Stars

Hello mountaineer explorers,

It's me, back with fresh content and positive feelings for once. Who would have thought that would happen, huh? Wanting to wake up in the morning. Wow. It's crazy out here. I made pizza rolls and they froze too well, so now they're all soft and floppy post microwave, which is upsetting. Anyway. Books happened.

The book that happened today was Even the Darkest Stars by Heather Fawcett. It's about a girl named Kamzin, second daughter of the village Elder, who just wants to be an explorer. Not just any explorer though, a royal explorer who maps the lands for the emperor. Because of her aspiration, she is pretty ticked when she finds out her older sister, who harbors no climbing instincts, is chosen to join the emperor's most favored explorer in climbing an unclimbable mountain. She ends up joining him, River Shara, anyway but climbing a mountain isn't all fun and games. She has to make it up mountain alive with the added push to beat/protect her sister drives Kamzin to be a bit reckless while completing her task.

This book was interesting. Mountain climbing is not anything that interests me at all, but I've read a book with a bit of mountain climbing, like, six times, so I thought it'd be okay. It wasn't. If this book was told about traversing through the forest, it wouldn't have made a difference to me. Mountains don't hit for me. I think that's why it took a bit for me. Also, my ship was practically shut down before it ever started. We find out that it tried, but it didn't hit for her and it made me sad. That was the only good ship. Kamzin has this thing for River, which is basically like catching feels for your boss and I don't vibe with that.

Also. Tell me why the best characters were a half-feral fox and a fire demon. We weren't supposed to associate with the fire demon, but alas, she does. Because she's a silly girl and her family sucks. But like, seriously? Props for the fire demon. Even though he's going to end up screwing us over, I like him. You know who sucks beyond measure? Lusha, the sister. She can eat rocks. I don't like when people are so sure of their superiority and just look down on everyone, and that's the embodiment of what she is. I hate that. I also don't like that Kamzin's whole two person family look down on her and make her feel dumb. That's literally the only reason why she did what she did, because she was trying to prove that she was somebody. Ugh.

Well, I gotta go. This book was kind of meh, just because more things didn't work for me than did work for me. It wasn't bad though. Go read it if you enjoy magical mountain climbing with dragons.

Ship: Kamzin and Tem, that is all

7/10
~Book Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment