April 21, 2019

Lady Midnight

Hi lovelies,

Happy Easter, to those who celebrate. To those who don't, happy 420. And to those who don't care about either of those, whassup? I'm writing this, both impatiently and to delay the inevitable.

Today I finished Lady Midnight, Cassandra Clare's first book in the Dark Artifices trilogy. Taking place in 2012 in at the Los Angeles, we have Emma Carstairs and Julian Blackthorn, parabatai. Ever since the Dark Wars, Emma has sought revenge over the deaths of her parents. The Clave told her Sebastian killed them, but she knows otherwise. Julian has been taking care of his four younger siblings since he was twelve when his father and both of his older, half-fae siblings were sent away. He's harboring secrets upon secrets, and that's no good. Enter Mark Blackthorn, one of said castaway half-fae siblings. The fae, pariahed after the war with the Cold Peace, are asking for the Blackthorn's help in solving a string of murders in Los Angeles in exchange for their brother, who had been taken by the Wild Hunt. And so Mark becomes another secret along with everything else.

Whew. So, this book? So good. Much like literally everything Cassandra writes. Like, how do you get that much talent in your body? Anyway, I reread this book, but it was basically new. Emma? Great. We stan a sarcastic queen. Julian? I love him. Not many people can do what he does and my heart breaks for him, but I also want to love him forever.

I—you know what? I'm just gonna detail my thoughts on all characters in the hopes that it'll stop me from spoiling.

Mark is kind of a dick. I know he's been through a lot and he has to adjust, but even when he's adjusted, he's a dick. Wants all the rewards without working for it. Like, leave. But not literally. Diana is also a piece of work. I kind of know why, I don't remember everything, but she expects things she doesn't give and I don't vibe with that. They all might as well be without an adult. Cristina is kind of like a study abroad student. Her presence is so comforting. Tavvy is the baby. Sometimes he's older than seven, in his words, but that's okay. Even queens must have flaws. Dru is quirky and great. Livvy. *sigh* She's so sweet, I'm so upset. That's all. I adore Ty with all my heart. He's such a good boy and if anyone hurts him I'm calling the police. I'll also probably cry.

Emma and Julian
by cameocamille
In the vaguest terms possible, to avoid spoilers and frustrate you so you go read it if you haven't, here's what I want/need to happen. I need Ty to flourish, follow his dreams, and fall in love, in no particular order. I need curses to be cured. Period. I need Julian to be okay and happy because he deserves it. I also want someone not to die. I will be devastated. And then I'll start crying all over again because he'll be devastated and it will all be a hot mess.

I think that's all I have to say at the moment. Also, sorry it's been so long. I kind of stalled reading this first one, because I knew I was eventually going to be sad. Also, I finished writing that horrible thing I was writing for Dion. Yay for that. Anyways, I'll read the next 700-page book as soon as possible. Bye, love you.

Ship: Emma and Julian
Love: Ty, Julian, Tavvy
Snek: *spoiler*, Robert, Mark, Diana

10/10
~Book Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment