October 30, 2018

All the Wind in the World

Hey whassup you guys,

Have I gone off the radar for like a couple weeks? Maybe. I tried to read this book, then I just gave up (sorry, Octavia Butler, I tried), and then I had to get through this one. Now a hot rage is burning inside me. I have words.

The book I finished today is All the Wind in the World by Samantha Mabry. I picked this up because it had a pretty cover and I thought it sounded interesting. It's about this girl, Sarah Jac and her boyfriend James trying to make it in what sounds like a post-apocalyptic world. The world seems to be drying out and the most stable work to find is cutting the hearts out of maguey, or agave plants. They don't broadcast the fact that they love each other, instead choosing to manipulate the people in the fields they work at until they move on.

I almost stopped reading this book, because they were calling themselves cousins. That's kind of a nope for me, despite the love I cherish for Magnus of Falling Kingdoms. He was lonely. But, that was cleared up, though not fast enough. If I was more impulsive, I would have never finished it. Then I got bored. This book isn't that long, and yet I struggled to get through it. This read a lot like a slow-burn fanfic to me or a fluff piece but without the cuddling and soft feelings. None of the things that happened to them while they were working was all that shocking, or I didn't care much. The stakes weren't that high.

Then. And then. He is a snake, and I banish him to whatever hole he crawled out of. The ending? Based off what he did? Ridiculous. Unrealistic. No one should settle for that baby back bullcrap. Livid. I am livid. And I can't even explain because it's the end of the book. That's the whole plot twist/climax of the story. Ugh.

I wasn't a big fan of this book. It kind of dragged on for me and I wasn't really interested. The writing was pretty good, but that was it. I wanted fluff, and I didn't get it, for obvious reasons. I also didn't really care about the characters. Like. . . spoilers. Some spoilers are too big for even me to spill. This was a pretty eh book. Pretty cover though.

5/10
~Book Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment