October 3, 2018

Red Queen

Rise red as the dawn, my dudes,

Here are some things I've learned over the past however many days:

  • my self-sabotage knows no bounds
  • my procrastination also knows no bounds
  • I need to study before bio exams
  • I'm not sad, just apathetic
  • my sister and I are the same, but not
  • I can't put aside past feelings when rereading books
What are some things you've learned about yourself? Tell me in the comment section and make sure you smash that subscribe button.

Today, I finished rereading Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. Here, we have a world divided by the literal color of your blood. The Reds have red blood and, under normal circumstances, are like normal people. The Silvers have silver blood, and have special magical powers that they think makes them superior to the Reds. All Reds live in poverty, Silvers get to have nice things like food and electricity. Mare Barrow is from the Stilts, an exceptionally poor Red town. She steals for her family, though they are very unappreciative, and is soon to be conscripted to the war just like all her brothers. Chance gets her a job at the palace, while she's trying to help her bff get out of going to the war. Then it turns out Mare has those super powers I was talking about it, and they're broadcasted on live TV. Mare is then forced to "be Silver" and she has to try and navigate a world of snakes.

In all honesty, I could have finished this book yesterday, but like I said, the procrastination. So. Wow. I feel like this book was better the second time around. My sixteen-year-old self didn't know content when she saw it, because I only gave it three out of five stars on Goodreads. Now, I'm a whole adult and I've seen the light. We're going to bump that up to four stars because I can.  

Mare's great. She's brash and pretends like she doesn't care, but she was going to scrounge up two thousand [currency] so Kilorn wouldn't be conscripted. She does the best she knows how to provide for her family. Her family is kind of a snake because she's trying her best, but they clearly favor their other daughter, Gisa. I get the feeling Mare is no one's favorite, though I might be wrong and she could be Shade's favorite. This not good enough complex hurts her later but, like, spoilers? Eh, I do what I want. Maven's a dick. Because I knew what was going to happen, I the dramatic irony was so real for me. She was told so many times not to trust anyone, and that anyone can betray anyone. Why did she think she was an exception? But it's fine. Even though she saw his true colors too late, she now has three books to make up for it.
Art by allarica.tumblr.com

Maven. The whiney boy. I couldn't find it in myself to fall for his tricks again. I felt like his personality flipped a little too much to be genuine. I don't know if I was just reading too much into every little thing he said, but it all sounded fake and I never started to trust him. Ever. Because he's a whole entire snake pit. I liked Cal a lot. I couldn't figure out why Mare got so mad at him. Like, he was doing his job? It's not like he hit the gas line on purpose. He's trying to figure out how to run his country and it's not his fault that he was a bunch of propaganda or whatever it's called when the government spreads lies. At least he was trying to understand. Plus, it always baffles me when stubborn people get mad at other stubborn people for being stubborn. Like, Mare. Really, dude? Love him. Or not. Because I kind of also love Kilorn. We don't really see a lot of Kilorn, but he's sweet. He's just trying to find where he fits in the world and who he is, like every other college student. Of course, I don't believe they have college in this world, but still. He's just an eighteen-year-old boy, trying his best. Just like the rest of us. Also, the fact that when she was being dragged away to "become Silver", she thought about having babies with him means something. If y'all were undisturbed, you would've been a beautiful couple. All that fighting was hidden passion or whatever. Wow. Love.

Honestly, though, I'm glad Mare didn't choose any of the love triangle characters. That would have been super forced, and we all know how much I hate forced relations. ALSO. Evangeline at the end was yelling, "You were supposed to be mine!" Really, dude? Because. . . last time I checked. . . you didn't ride that bus. But okay.

Ship: no one, because Mare don't need no man
Snakes: you know, you know who the snakes are
Love of my life: Cal, Kilorn

8/10
~Book Panda
Facts

No comments:

Post a Comment