October 13, 2018

King's Cage (revisited)

Hey rewrites,

I've reviewed this book before, but "review" is a very strong word for what I wrote. I'm not sure why I even published it, but whatever. Here's some good ole fashioned ranting.

Today I finished. . . King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard. Mare has been given herself up as a prisoner to save her people. Maven, the little bastard, has her locked up but is puppeting her around. The Scarlet Guard, God bless them, are. . . I kind of forget. I guess they were making military moves and surveilling everyone. Preparing for war and all that jazz. So much happens in this book, I'm not really sure how to sum it up. You can smash that link if vague and confusing summaries don't cut it for you.

I have so many questions for Victoria. First being: why did it take a whole 200 pages for someone to rescue Mare? How dare you. My second question is, why did we see from Cameron's perspective instead of, oh, I don't know, Cal's? I mean, did it show me Mare's faults? Yes. Did I see the storming of Corvium even though I quickly forgot that the action was taking over Corvium? Yes. But I didn't see Cal being a bit of a snake, despite my love for him. I wouldn't have fallen back in love with him if I knew he was going to be a snake. Maybe. I'd have liked to see Cal's perspective regardless I think. Then the dramatic irony would have been extreme. I'm a sucker for dramatic irony.

To my character reviews, because that's what me "reviewing" books really is. Mare. Oh, Mare. I was hoping and praying someone would get you out or you would escape before any Stockholm syndrome kicked in. And now you have PTSD, but still want to fight for the cause. And now your heart is shattered because power is a potent drug. I believe in your ability to thrive, with or without a man. Kilorn may have moved on, but there are a couple of lightning boys available. The one I liked winked at you. Maven. Suck my left dick. Cameron, you kind of annoy me but I understand you. Cal. You break my heart. I'll never love again (ha!). You're a strong boy, but you're a weak boy. You should've been raised by black parents. Evangeline, you gay dick. I fully support you in all of your gayness, but why must you be horrible in all ways? If you weren't so entitled and awful, I would like you. I suggest you and Elane run off to broken England or something and live in a cottage.

The final book is coming up, so I've decided to make a few predictions. I read something that insinuated something terrible, and refuse to think of that. Maven is either going to be rehabilitated or die horribly. Evangeline is going to switch sides in order to stay with her girl. I think Cal is going to regret his decision and try and find a way out of it but be manipulated. Heartbroken, Mare is either going to be a strong independent woman or be scooped up by someone else. Preferably a white-haired lightning boy. Or maybe she'll find herself a girlfriend too. Kilorn is going to move on, probably with a newblood girl. Maybe Ada? Maybe Gisa. Farley will be a badass general and mom. Clara is going to be so spoiled, even during a war. She will also call the Colenol either dad or grandpa. The "Kingdom of the Rift" is clearly going to fall. That's all I can think of for now.

I rant a lot about these books, but I do truly enjoy them. I wouldn't care if I didn't. See you in 4-6 business days.

Ship: Cal and Mare, Evangeline and Elane
Snakes: who isn't a snake TBH

8/10
~Book Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment