October 7, 2018

Glass Sword

Newblood,

Say you want me, say you want me, to teach you your skill. But I'm just a dead girl walking all day. And I need Cal, and I need Cal, back in my life. Cause I'm just a dead girl walking all day. (The Youngblood album by 5 Seconds of Summer is probably 2018's greatest masterpiece. We are not worthy). So. What's good? What song have you listened to repeatedly until you knew all the words in less than an hour?

What have I finished today? Glass Sword, the second book in Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen series. In this book, Mare is fully immersed in the Scarlet Guard, as fully as is possible for someone no one really trusts. This book is so intricate, I'm not sure what to tell you that isn't a major spoiler. Then again, I don't really know how to talk about books without spoilers so here we go. There are some sneaky sneky brothers that pop up. Mare is trying to save those like her from the likes of Maven, the worst person alive. She's trying her best, but she makes a lot of bad decisions. I don't fully blame her, because no one checked up on her mental health before they decided she should be in charge of something.

Wow. I think that might have been worse than how I usually do. I'm going to blame stress. Anyway. Mare. My baby. Someone needs to help her. Like, she doesn't want to be helped, but that doesn't mean she doesn't need help. Mare's so freaking stubborn, she won't ever admit she needs anything from anybody, not even a hug. Like, go hug your mom, darling. It's okay. After the ordeal she went through, it makes sense that she isn't thinking with all her brain cells. I'm trying to figure out why no one was like, oh. Maybe we shouldn't let her go through this after she just had to kill a bunch of people out of self-defense? No? Okay, whatever.

The relations are really messy in this one, except the one between Farley and Shade. We all knew they were an item, even before I reread this. Kilorn and Mare break my heart. Kilorn desperately loves her, and yet she pushes him away out of fear. And Mare realizes what she's doing, but she can't stop herself. Kilorn is kind of the GOAT. He tries to give her what she thinks she wants, and then she still gets mad. That doesn't matter, I still love him. Cal and Mare make me sad. They're clearly both using each other. I believe this is what the masses refer to as a toxic relationship. They are both using each other for comfort, to chase their demons away. I honestly can't get a read on why Cal stays, because he doesn't believe in the cause, he and Mare rarely get along, and people don't like him on general principle. I don't know if I'd stay with a group of people doing things I don't like for someone I only like some of the time. But what do I know of relationships, toxic or otherwise? I'm a whole ace.

This book really shook me several times over. Like, I knew what was going to happen at the end, but the whole middle part was like reading a new book. Victoria wildin' out here with them plot twists and secrets and stuff. Now, excuse me as I experience physical pain while reading King's Cage. It'll be great.

Ship: Farley and Shade
Snake: still Maven, you little bastard, Elara
Send them help: Mare
S'Love: Kilorn

9/10
~Book Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment