September 13, 2018

DNF

Hey dude,

So. I don't remember if I did this before, because it's literally been an entire year, but I'm going to start reviewing the books I don't finish. Why not, you know? It's not like you're going to tell me not to.

Today, I stopped trying to read The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld. This book is about this chick moving to a new town and discovering that there's this entire other world during the night. Everyone's frozen in time except for a select few. These "midnighters" don't fit in during the day and have special powers at night. Except for the chick, Jessica Day.

That's all the real summary had, so that's all I'm giving you. Sucker.

I read this book because it had been on my list for a while and I was like, you know what, I liked the Uglies series, let me try this out. Shouldn't have done this. I was so bored. It's been three days and I've only read 103 pages in a 300-page book. That's not normal for me. I should be done with this.

I didn't like or didn't care about the characters. The only one that seemed to be somewhat okay was Jonathan and he's not a main character. So far, he's shown up for maybe three pages. The main main character, Jessica, I don't give a rat's left butt cheek about. She's not funny, she's not angsty, she's not snarky. She's nothing. She has the personality of blank copy paper, and at least you can make copy paper look good. Dess is annoying. Like, she's mean for no reason and she's just annoying. I could have liked Rex, but then I don't know him. Like, what's his schtick? I don't know.

As I couldn't get invested in the characters, I tried to trek on for the plot. But the plot just mosied its way on. I mean, dude. There are only 300 pages. Do you really need three chapters of her running away from darklings or whatever? And everyone knows how new people adapt in small towns. Don't need 60 pages about that. I am a little curious about what Jessica's power is, but not enough to finish the book. I just looked it up, and apparently, she's something called a flame-bringer? She can use technology during the blue hour or whatever. Good on her. I also just read that his girl is a red-haired, green-eyed beauty? This was nowhere in the first hundred pages. Shouldn't that have been in the intro? I'm a little mad, but whatever. I'm sure she saves the world.

I'm a little peeved now, so I'm gonna go write about my own red-haired, green-eyed beauty. See you later, hopefully with a better series.

DNF @ 118
2/10
~Book Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment