September 11, 2018

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Hi Will Grayson,

It's me, Will Grayson. I'm excited because I get to go home in three days. Was I just home for Labor Day? Yes. Stop judging me. Also, I'm getting sick, which pisses me off but also comforts me in that when everyone is sick later, I will be unperturbed. I will look on as they sniffle and wheeze, unaffected as I sip my drink. I will—What? You want me to get on with the post? Fine, whatever. It's not like this is my blog or anything.


Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green and David Levithan is about two guys named Will Grayson meet. It's under weird circumstances and their lives entangle a bit in the way people with the same name who meet happen to become entangled. Indifferent Will is trying to figure out what his truth is and how he wants to live it. Sullen Will is trying to see if he can be. . . happy? Maybe happy isn't the word. I don't know, he's trying to figure himself out.


Of the two Will's, Sullen Will was my favorite. His part of the book is told with no uppercase letters, and that was a bit disorienting in the beginning, but I quickly got over it. I was a little worried about him at first, because the first sentence of his part is, "i am constantly torn between killing myself and killing everyone around me" (22) and I was like, sir. Sir, are you okay? Then I was like, I love you, you deserve all the happiness and love. I'm not sure if you can tell, but I like the sullen ones. Just because he's gay, doesn't mean I can't love him and want him protected.
Art by D4ncingD4wn
Indifferent Will was really relatable to me. He wasn't trying to draw attention to himself and he felt like his friends didn't appreciate him enough or care. It was a bit of a rollercoaster of emotion. Then I stopped thinking about myself because that's selfish. His plight with indecisiveness was also a mood. Of course, my indecisiveness errs more towards the food issues than relationship issues.

I will say, I was very wary of reading this book. The first John Green book I ever read was The Fault in Our Stars and I was deceased. Then I tried to read his past books and I was very disappointed. I didn't want John to disappoint me again, so I put off reading this for a while. This book was good. Not Fault In Our Stars kill-me-now-because-I'm-already-dead good, but that-was-so-cute-and-good-and-I'm-glad-I-read-it good. I like that they didn't immediately become best friends and I'm also glad nobody died. It was a finding yourself story that had some complexities while keeping other cliches. Cliches only bother me when they're annoying. All in all, solid book. Thanks, John. For the content.

Ship: Indifferent Will and Jane, Sullen Will and Gideon
Team Too Much: Tiny Cooper
Eat Dirt, Heathen: Maura

8/10
~Book Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment